Wednesday 5 March 2014

Do you believe in fairies ... ?

Remember when we were kids?  Every time a wish was made - when blowing out birthday candles, puffing the seeds from a dandelion etc - I had two alternating wishes.  The first was the (still unfulfilled) wish for a puppy, the second was for a pair of working fairy wings.  It's an age old desire for humans to be able to fly, so it's not really that surprising.  But imagine the delight of sporting a fluttering pair of delicate shimmering wings that could actually lift you off the ground.  Let's be honest - I'd still wish for that if I thought it was remotely possible, but I think my belief in magic may be just a tiny bit tarnished. However, a little of that belief in magic must linger in many of us, because the allure of fairies never completely diminishes.  As evidenced by this recent artwork commission - a set of Four Seasons fairies.


I enjoyed working on this so much, it inspired me to make a wire fairy pendant, using my original goddess design and a dash of seasonal magic.  So here is my Spring Fairy.


Of course, I'm slightly more obsessed with merfolk than fairies, so I'm still trying to work out how to make a mermaid pendant, but in the meantime, don't stop believing in fairies - I may still get my wings! ;)

No comments: