Wednesday 5 February 2014

Tiptoeing over to the dark side ...

No, I haven't become a practitioner of nefarious dark arts or any such thing.  Worse - I've bought a Kindle!  This is probably not what counts as news to the vast majority of you.  But it is something I've resisted for years.  I love books.  I love the thick, spotted pages and mildewy smell of old books - they may not be history books themselves, but they have a history.  I love the smooth feel and shiny covers of new books.  I love that feeling when your favourite author has written a new one and you're waiting for it to arrive.  I always read all the dedications, acknowledgements, author biography etc. before I will even allow myself to start the story.  And because of this love, I really don't want to contribute to the demise of the book.

However - and you knew there was a 'however' coming - one of the consequences of my love of books is that, unless I hated it, I find it almost impossible to pass a book on.  My bookcases are overflowing with reading matter, I have piles of books on the floor, jammed on top of the books on the shelves, piling up in unexpected places ... none of which is good for the books.  And I can't afford to move.  ;)

Add that to the fact that more and more authors seem to be releasing digital-only material, as well as the fact that the digital versions of their full-length books are often significantly cheaper, and I was on the horns of a dilemma.  Stick to my principles and eventually find myself on one of those chronic hoarder programmes, or back down and buy that sneaky piece of tech?

In the end, I was able to reconcile myself to my u-turn by reminding myself that this would mean I could read more books for the same price (and a lot less space) and that I would still be buying hard copies of my favourites, along with any reference books - I do not want to look at glossy pictures on a hand-held device - as well as my other favourite - blank books.  I love sketchbooks and notebooks; the blank pages just cry out to be filled.

So the digital revolution has claimed another victim.  I  hold my hand up - I sold out.  But I have to confess, I am really enjoying using the Kindle ... ;)


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am exactly the same Louise!! I resisted buying an ipad for the very same reason! I love books & do not want to contribute to their demise. I love the feel of a good book, the pages & get great pleasure from looking forward to my favourite authors new releases. I'm not the kind of person that has read lots n lots of various books. Just the ones from my favourite authors.

Cath said...

Same here Louise. My bookcases were so untidy and of course not enough of them. My folks bought me one for Christmas a couple of years back as I spend so much time in hospitals and always run out of reading material while there. It did make sense to have one. I will confess though that I'm now an almost complete convert. I love my kindle. The only thing it doesn't work for is reference books as you can't flick through pages easily. I do still buy books though from my fave authors so maybe I'll get just one more bookcase! ;-)

Kim said...

I am exactly the same too. My husband bought me a kindle a few years ago and I am so glad he did. I also really like that so many of the indie authors are willing to send free copies of their new books in exchange for a review on my blog. To get a free book from an author I enjoy, and to be able to help them is wonderful! Enjoy your Kindle :-)

Louise said...

How fabulous - to get a free book and give something back at the same time, Kim! I'm still absolutely loving mine, in spite of everything. :)

Cheryl said...

I love my Kindle for trying books I'd never otherwise buy (don't have the space) and classics that are either huge or expensive (there's no way I'd be reading The count of Monte Cristo if I had to carry the paperback around!) But reference books, and books by my favourite authors, are hardcopy all the way.